Methotrexate for Psoriasis
Why It Is Used
Methotrexate is used to treat severe psoriasis (more than 20% of the skin is affected) when creams, ointments, tar products, and phototherapy have not worked or cannot be used. It is also used to treat Reference psoriatic arthritis Opens New Window.
Methotrexate cannot be used by women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant or by people:
- With blood disorders or severe Reference anemia Opens New Window.
- With stomach ulcers.
- With liver or kidney diseases.
- With an infectious disease, such as Reference tuberculosis Opens New Window.
- Who drink alcohol frequently.
- Who cannot return to the doctor for tests to check for side effects of the medicine.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: January 9, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Amy McMichael, MD - Dermatology