Insect Bites and Stings and Spider Bites
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What type of insect or spider bit or stung you? Be prepared to describe it.
- When were you bitten or stung? How many times were you bitten or stung? Where on your body were you bitten or stung?
- Have you ever had a severe allergic reaction (Reference anaphylaxis Opens New Window) to a similar bite or sting?
- What are your main symptoms?
- When did your symptoms begin? How have your symptoms developed, progressed, or changed since the bite or sting?
- What home treatment have you tried for the bite or sting? Did it help?
- What prescription or nonprescription medicines have your tried on the bite? Did they help?
- Have you traveled recently?
- Do you have any Reference health risks?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 25, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine