Repair of Rectocele or Enterocele
What To Think About
Pelvic organ prolapse is strongly linked to labor and vaginal delivery. So you may want to delay surgical repair of a rectocele or enterocele until you have finished having children.
Surgical repair may relieve some, but not all, of the problems caused by a rectocele or enterocele.
- If pelvic pain, low back pain, or pain with intercourse is present before surgery, the pain may still occur after surgery.
- Symptoms of constipation may return following surgery.
- The success rate is lower if you have had previous pelvic surgery or Reference radiation therapy Opens New Window to the pelvis.
You can control many of the activities that contributed to your rectocele or enterocele or made it worse. After surgery:
- Avoid smoking.
- Stay at a healthy weight for your height.
- Avoid constipation.
- Avoid activities that put strain on the lower pelvic muscles, such as heavy lifting or long periods of standing.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 9, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Femi Olatunbosun, MB, FRCSC - Obstetrics and Gynecology