Pressure Sores: Conditions That Affect Healing
Pressure sores occur most frequently in people who are confined to beds or chairs. In many cases, a person with a pressure sore also has one or more medical conditions that may affect treatment and healing. These conditions include:
- Malnutrition (chronic lack of good nutrition) and Reference dehydration Opens New Window (lack of enough fluid in the body).
- Reference Diabetes Opens New Window.
- Reference Chronic kidney disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Thyroid disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Heart failure Opens New Window.
- Reference Heart valve disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Blood vessel disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Impaired immune system Opens New Window.
- Reference Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Opens New Window (COPD).
- Reference Depression Opens New Window and Reference psychosis Opens New Window.
- Some medications.
- Muscle shortening (Reference contracture Opens New Window) in the main body joints.
- Recent hip fracture.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference February 15, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Margaret Doucette, DO - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Wound Care, Hyperbaric Medicine