Helpful Tips for Feeling Better
When memories trigger stress reactions, do something to make you feel better. Here are some suggestions:
- Soothe yourself and relax. Do something that relaxes you. Try meditation or yoga.
- Take care of yourself. Eat healthy foods regularly, get enough sleep, be creative.
- Do not use drugs, alcohol, or food to avoid emotional pain.
- Do not avoid people or social situations.
- Stay connected. Family and friends can help support and comfort you. Make plans with other people and show up!
- Forgive yourself and grieve. It will get better.
- Have a routine. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, eat at regular times, walk the dog, find patterns that are comforting.
- Have some fun. Do things that you enjoy, or used to enjoy, and make plans – it may improve your mood.
- Laugh. Positive emotions refresh and refuel us. Do something fun.
Back to top