Levels of Risk
HIV & STI Risk Continuum
(Activities that do not include an exchange of bodily fluids.)
- Dry kissing
- Masturbation (alone)
- Foreplay (without bodily fluid exchange)
(Barrier protected activities, or very little bodily fluid contact.)
- French/deep kissing
- Mutual masturbation, with a barrier to prevent fluid exchange
- Oral sex with a condom, dam, or plastic wrap
- Analingus (rimming, butt licking) with a dam or plastic wrap
- Vaginal intercourse with a condom
- Anal intercourse with a condom
(Activities during which exchange of bodily fluids might create some danger of transmitting HIV.)
- Vaginal sex, without a condom, with a monogamous partner who tested negative for HIV
- Anal sex, without a condom, with a monogamous partner who tested negative for HIV
- Vaginal sex with a needle user using a condom
(Unprotected intercourse without a barrier.)
- Oral sex with fluid exchange (no barrier)
- Oral sex without a barrier, with a partner who tested positive for HIV
- Oral sex, without a barrier, with a prostitute
- Vaginal intercourse without a condom
- Vaginal sex, without a condom, with a partner whose sexual history you do not know
- Vaginal sex, without a condom, with a man who has sex with men
- Vaginal sex without a condom, with a partner who has had sex with an IV drug user
- Anal intercourse without a condom
- Analingus (rimming, butt licking) without a dam or plastic wrap
Back to top
I can choose to be safe!
I can choose not to have sex. I can choose only to have safer sex and always use a condom correctly. I can choose to say no to alcohol and other drugs. I can talk to my partner about sex and HIV.
Remember it's not who you are that puts you at risk for HIV, it's what you do.
The above material is taken from "A teen's guide to HIV and AIDS." Copyright 1995 Journeyworks Publishing. All rights reserved. Please do not duplicate or reproduce by electronic or any other means without express permission from the publisher.
Back to top
Written & Reviewed By:
Nancy Brown, Ph.D.
Last Reviewed: October 2013
Below are links PAMF accessed when researching this topic. PAMF does not sponsor or endorse any of these sites, nor does PAMF guarantee the accuracy of the information contained on them.
STD Wizard: It takes 5 minutes to find out if you need to be tested for an STI such as hepatitis, HIV or Chlamydia.
HIV Rap Interactive: Watch a video, answer a quiz to assess your HIV risk, or just learn more about sexual health strategies to protect you and your partner using this collection of interactive, multimedia, science-based HIV information, prevention resources, and personal stories.
Know the Risks: This interactive HIV/AIDS Information and Personal Risk Assessment Center can help you to better understand your risks for HIV and learn more about prevention strategies. The survey and learning activities are also available in Spanish.