Smart Start – Child Care Provider Program
5210: Numbers to Live by!The first years of life are a critical time for the development of lifestyle behaviors; we seek to partner with child care providers in our area to provide assistance in making these formative years fun and healthy.
Child care providers have an opportunity to help develop healthy lifestyle behaviors through education, role modeling, providing opportunities and creating environments that make healthy choices attractive, appealing and easy.
Here are some ways child care providers can support healthy lifestyles:
- Provide children with opportunities to try new fruits and vegetables
- Avoid pressuring children to try foods; let it be their choice
- Provide children with opportunities to develop relationships with fruits and vegetables through gardens
- Limit recreational screen time
- Avoid using food (healthy or not) as rewards
- Include opportunities for physical activity in daily routines
- Avoid serving sugar-sweetened beverages (including 100 percent fruit juice and flavored milks)
- Provide access to water
Sugar Savvy Tip Sheet for Child Care Providers
5210 Let's Go has created a great toolkit for child care providers.
Child care providers can use this checklist from Sarasota County Health Department to see how they are doing.
Back to top