The vitamins, minerals, and fiber in fruits and vegetables are important to your health. The nutrients in fruits and vegetables help our bodies grow. They also help us maintain a healthy body weight. By eating five fruits and vegetables each day you also help to keep your immune system strong.
Aim to eat your servings of fruits and vegetables; even 100 percent juice does not have the benefits of eating a single piece of fruit or vegetable. Juice does have much more sugar than a piece of fruit or vegetable.
Try these healthy tips:
- Add berries to sweeten cereal or oatmeal
- Try carrots with hummus dip
- Make fruit kabobs
- Make celery sticks with almond butter and raisins
- Use nonfat yogurt as a dip for fruit as dessert
- Freeze grapes for a cool summer snack
- Add vegetables like carrots or zucchini to pasta sauce
The vitamins and minerals in fruits and vegetables help kids grow, fight off illness and can prevent weight gain. Fresh is best, but frozen is also a good choice. If you're using canned fruits and vegetables, watch for sodium and added sugar.