Youth Nutrition Program Resources
Local Partners of the PAMF Youth Nutrition Program
Below are some of the Youth Nutrition Program's terrific local partners:
Seeks to educate and engage youth and communities in food system change through sustainable programs that impact health, education and the environment. Collective Roots achieves its mission through the innovative integration and implementation of two key program areas: Garden-based learning and food system change.
Dairy Council of California
Strives to enhance the health and well-being of children and adults by enabling individuals to make healthful food and lifestyle choices through our nutrition education programs used by educators and health professionals.
First 5 of Santa Clara
First 5 aims to ensure children are healthy and prepared for school, connect families to parenting resources and strengthen our community.
San Jose State University
Nutrition Education Action Team (NEAT)
Group of nutrition students who advocate healthy nutrition practices to San Jose State University students and community members. NEAT presents nutrition education seminars and workshops, organizes outreach events and coordinates events for National Nutrition Month and Eating Disorders Awareness Week. NEAT members are undergraduate and graduate students in the Nutrition and Food Science program at San Jose State University.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
In addition to providing food, they conduct nutrition classes and work with lawmakers to advocate for policy changes that can help eliminate hunger and its root causes.
University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) of Santa Clara County
UCCE members are dedicated to creating, developing and delivering knowledge and practical information in agricultural, natural and human resources to improve the quality of life of Californians.
Additional resources about nutrition and fitness for children:
- We Can! Ways to Enhance Children's Activity & Nutrition
- American Dietetic Association
- American Heart Association
- Nutrition Data – Know What You Eat
- CDC – Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity
- Dairy Council of California
- Nutrition Fun for Kids
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Obesity website
- Nutrition Explorations
- Network for a Healthy California – Children's Power Play! Campaign
- Fruits & Veggies More Matters
- Project Lean
- General Preteen Health Information
- Spot the Block! Get Your Food Facts First
- PBS Kids GO! It's MyLife
- A Parent's Guide to Childhood Obesity: A Road Map to Health, Sandra G. Hassink, M.D., FAAP/American Academy of Pediatrics
- The Healthy Lunchbox, Marie McClendon, ME.d, and Cristy Shauck
- Child of Mine: Feeding With Love and Good Sense, Ellyn Satter
- Fit Kids, Mary L. Gavin, Steven A. Dowshen, and Neil Izenberg
- Food Fights: Winning the Nutritional Challenges of Parenthood Armed With Insight, Humor and a Bottle of Ketchup, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Good Enough to Eat – A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition, Lizzy Rockwell
- How to Get Your Kid to Eat‚ But Not Too Much, Ellyn Satter
- KidShape: A Practical Prescription For Helping Your Child Lose Weight, Increase Self-Esteem, Establish Healthy Eating Habits, Have a More Active Lifestyle , Naomi Neufeld, M.D., FACE
- Your Child's Weight - Helping Without Harming, Ellyn Satter
- Salad People, Mollie Katzen
- Picture Perfect Weight Loss, Howard Shapiro, M.D.
- Eat, Play and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School to Healthy Eating For Kids, W. Allan Walker, M.D.
- How to Teach Nutrition to Kids: An Integrated, Creative Approach to Nutrition Education for Children Ages 6 - 10, Connie Liakos Evers, M.S., R.D.
- Let's Talk About Being Overweight, Melanie Gordon
- Extreme Elvin, Chris Lynch
- Overweight: A Handbook for Teens, Tania Heller
- Get a Healthy Weight for Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Better Eating and Exercise, Brian McCrindle and James Wengle
- Healthy Snack and Fast-Food Choices (Nutrition and Fitness for Teens), Mary Turck
- Helping Your Child Lose Weight the Healthy Way: A Family Approach to Weight Control, Judith Levine
- Helping Your Overweight Child: A Family Guide, Caroline Cederquist
- If Your Child is Overweight: A Guide for Parents, Susan Kosharek
- Overcoming Childhood Obesity, Colleen Thompson and Ellen Shanley
- Rescuing the Emotional Lives of Overweight Children: What Our Kids Go Through – And How We Can Help, Sylvia Rimm
- The Everything Parent's Guide to the Overweight Child: Help Your Child Lose Weight, Develop Healthy Eating Habits, and Build Self-confidence, Paula Ford-Martin