Douching Information for Young Women
Douching is a process that washes or cleans out the vagina with water or other fluids ,such as a mixture of water and vinegar, baking soda or iodine. Douches can be bought at drug stores (if recommended by a medical professional only) and typically come in bottles that enable you to squirt the liquid through a tube into your vagina.
Historically women douched to:
- Clean the vagina
- Rinse away the vagina after monthly periods
- Get rid of vaginal odor
- Avoid STIs
- Prevent pregnancy
- Flushes out the healthy bacteria in the vagina, often causing an imbalance leading to multiple infections
- Makes a woman more susceptible to sexually transmitted infections (insert link: http://www.pamf.org/teen/sex/std)
- Can traumatize or irritate the cervix or vagina
- Can force an existing sexually transmitted infection up into the reproductive tract, causing serious conditions including PID
Back to top
Reviewed by: Nancy Brown, Ph.D.